Tuesday, January 31, 2012

2008 - Beautiful Stair Case Rugs.






While shopping at JOANN one day in 2008, my mom and I stumbled upon a book that had a picture of a stair case with really cool rugs covering up the tops of the steps.  Of course, for the sake of making the project more interesting, the stairs had some really beautiful wood work on the edge of the stairs that I wish I could incorporate as well.  Sigh.  The real reason of this post was the idea of having something to cover up our beat up natural wood stairs.  They are simple to make and with all my mom's yarn that she had lying around, it was a fairly inexpensive rehab for my worn out stairs.

My mom agreed to work on the project with me and knocked five of the six stairs out for me.  She finished them and I got really excited about them and installed them on the steps.  I stapled them for extra security.  As you can see, the top stair is bare.  I didn't finish it.  Ever.  Several months later, my mom took the project home and finished the last stair.  I got about half way and didn't finish it.  I don't remember why I never did.  I think I messed the color pattern up and got upset about it and gave up on it.


As you can see, the second step is worn and ugly.  The first step is not any better.  I love how the rugs cover all that up and make it look so homey.  I put them all on in hopes that I would be inspired to get it together and finish my ONE rug.



Unfortunately, it sat under the television set waiting to be completed.  This was late 2008 before it made it to my mom's house to get finished.  Mid 2009 is before I finally installed it with the rest.  My mom ALSO made a larger one to fit the top step where the "All Things Grow With Love" rug (also made by my mom), but sits and waits (to this day) to be glued and now fixed after someone (dog or cat) chewed the yarn in one spot.

It is so funny seeing this picture as I sat on the couch taking it.  The living room doesn't even look like this anymore.  I just bought a new camera that day and was testing the quality.  Silly me.  Otherwise, I would have never taken this picture.  Number one, it's messy.  Number two, the subject is boring.  However, I do think it's a good visual of what the house looked like in 2008 and today so to speak, cluttered and messy.


No comments:

Post a Comment