Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Original Yellow House.





For sixteen years of my life, I lived in this house and it was not originally yellow.  My mom and dad purchased this house in 1978.  The small 800 square foot house was her grandmother's on her dad's side and was built in the 1920s.   After 21 years of life that was held within its walls, it definitely left an impression on the five people that lived in it before we packed up and moved on July 4, 1999.


 My mom and dad took on the challenge to fix this diamond in the rough with a little help from my eldest brother, whom was just a toddler at the time.


One of the biggest things that a homeowner can do to make their house look and do better, is replace the roof.  Once Evan and I replaced ours, a since of security and ownership resided.


I am really glad my parents decided to go with yellow.  I can't see any other color that would do to make that house ours.


 The white trim and the sun-kissed yellow really made that house look loved and well cared for versus the run down gray and dark green shutters.  It says to you that it is a happy house and welcomes you to it with a smile.


I am amazed at my parents' hard work and how much they transformed that house.  They transformed it from the inside out, but I think they worked the outside first.  The upstairs was an apartment that was originally rented out and they used it to live in until they updated the entire first floor.  It was small and had a tiny cramped kitchen and bathroom.  That apartment upstairs was later used as my brother's bedroom and studio for my mom's artwork.





This past fall my cousin got married and invited Evan and I, along with my middle brother and mom, to her wedding.  We packed up our two dogs, my mom's dog and cat into a rented RV and headed over.  Once we got there we peeked by our old house and took a snap shot of it.  I was amazed to see that it was still yellow after 30 years!  Not to mention how tall those trees had gotten.  The two oak trees, the red on the left and the green one on the right, are from the set of Ernest Scared Stupid!  The green one has gotten so tall!  Unbelievable!

No comments:

Post a Comment