Wednesday, August 29, 2012

2012 - Aug 29 - What It Is All About

The last stalk from the batch of Red Sunflowers has finally bloomed with lots of little buds along the stalk.  Luckily it is a short stalk, so I can enjoy it better from down here versus it's seven foot tall cousins.  It's deep red hues are very beautiful, but I still prefer just the plain ole yellow happy sunflowers that smile back at you.


I got a little impatient and wanted to pull the Carrots up.  I wanted to see how they were doing.  They are small, but I was happy with the length that they were.  Tasty too.


The drip hose has been really helpful in getting the Mesclun to sprout.  Lots of fresh new leaves have popped up on the back side of the Raised Garden.


The Kentucky Pole Beans are doing well and are climbing the trellis on it's own with out my training.


Just to the right of the Brussels Sprouts new growth, I have three stalks of Leeks growing.  Sorry it is blurry.  I am so excited, because I had transplanted the Adult Leeks from my Mom's garden in Tulsa and placed them on the backside of the Garden to help stake them to the trellis.  Once it had shrived and turned brown, I pulled the stalk out and noticed it had garlic like bulbs at the end of the plant.  So I moved them into the Raised Garden to see how they do.  And here they come!


The Cabbage Moths have been mean to my Brussels Sprouts and Kale.  I plucked two wash buckets full of leaves decimated by the hungry caterpillars.  They will bounce back, but the plants look so silly with no leaves attached to them.


I have also acquired a new garden buddy.  Mr. Toad.  He LOVES the drip hose and enjoys the water spraying on him to keep him cool and moist.  Hopefully he is enjoying the bugs that like to eat my plants.  When I looked in the garden the other day, he was not there, a little (frog size) hole was dug out and wondered if a rabbit or chipmunk had gotten into the garden.  I was worried for the Mesclun.  So I decided to keep an eye on it.  The next day, I came back and I looked down at the frog and was startled and excited to see him.  I love critters that enjoy my garden.  Butterflies, Spiders, Bubble Bees, Wasps, Caterpillars, Beetles, and anything to the like of it as long as they don't eat my fruits and harm my plants, they are friends of my garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment