Tuesday, March 13, 2012

2012 - New Herbal Garden!




 So the quest for a new herbal garden has begun.   Evan and I bought our raised garden frame at Lowe's the other day and laid it out where the new bed will be raised.  It sat there for a few days as I had to work, or it was super windy, or too cold, or I was too tired, or it was too wet and rainy.  I was off yesterday and waited until Evan got home and for the sun to pass around the house, so we wouldn't be digging in the blazing sun.  March 12th and it's 80 degrees out.  Today, March 13th and it's 83 degrees.  Amazing!  

I'm an idiot and didn't get the dug up square Evan had cut out with our now busted edger.  The second one too.  Never more Friskars.  I hate your weak orange plastic handle that cannot handle our thick clay muck we call dirt.  While Evan worked the base of the raised bed, I dug in deeper to get those pesky Jerusalem Artichokes tubers out of the dirt.  Sunday we had a really good soaking of rain and with all that rain, I was able to dig easily into the ground and pick out a bucket full of tubers.  No more lame sunchokes that can't handle the high winds of summer storms.  I didn't throw them away so to speak.  I put them over the fence in hopes they will grow there and make a really nice display for the deer to eat.  Wink. Wink.


Pre-dug garden bed.  The Spearmint, Oregano, Chive Onion, and Mint had to be dug up and I hope they will survive the transplanting to the new bed.  The red stones are saved to help hold up the south end of the bed on the slope.

Winter debris in the mix of new spring growth.  All about to be dug up and moved into the new bed.

Our new bed frame is held up by the saved red retaining wall stones to keep it level.

Dirt removed from the bed, or should I say, clay muck.  We will replace it with some better quality dirt.

This garden day came to an end as the sun set as the dogs stood guard over our garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment