Saturday, April 14, 2012

2012 - Garden Updates

It's been almost three weeks since I planted the all the seeds in the raised garden.  I also planted the Musclun Seeds a little bit later and are sprouting about in the pot and heading up towards the sun! 


Evan's Primrose plant is recovering well from being beat up in the $1 clearance section at Lowe's.  It's leaves are growing back and flowers keep coming up.


The Primrose was planted right next to this really neat Lily plant my mom gave me last year.  Fingers crossed it will bloom this year.  It is getting much bigger than it did last year.


Everything sprouted in the Raised Garden except the Carrots.  Evan and I headed up to The Grass Pad to get some new Carrot Seeds and check the place out.  I have never been there and the place is pretty neat.  Just hate that it is so far away.  Their prices were decent.  We looked at all their beautiful flowers and plants, landing us with a four pack of Green Pepper plants and a really pretty flower called Celosia that I will have to come back with pictures once it is put in the Butterfly Garden.


Even though the Butterfly Garden is getting full, the new flower will have a nice spot right in the back against the wall.  It will stand about twenty inches tall and stand out with red flowers.


The Daffodils are finally taking off along with the Sunflower Seeds in the Terracotta Pot.  I don't think they will bloom, but the fact that they are still alive is amazing.  We had an impending frost that would possibly kill the Sunflower Sprouts and I picked up that heavy terracotta pot to carry inside.  I ended up pulling a few muscles in my back and made it sore all week leaving me out of the garden on my day off.  I am getting behind on chores!


I was going to work on getting the rest of the Sunchokes out of the back of the raised garden.  They keep popping up after I pull a bunch out.  Invasive species, I'd say.  Remember, ALL parts of the tuber has to be removed.  If a bit breaks off, they will regrow from that.  The Spearmint and Lemon Balm wait to be planted, although, they seem to have planted themselves right there where I left them.  I believe the Oregano died from the heat.  Also I still have not figured out what to do with the pretty red and pink flower potted plants.


Evan and I have also purchased the Edging Brick and Mulch needed for the walkway around the Raised Garden from Lowe's.  We also got some Dirt to fill the back side of the Raised Garden after I put down some Weed Barrier in hopes to stop the Sunchokes from sprouting up.  Fingers crossed.  We got a new 20" Homelite blade from Home Depot for the mower and installed it, a Soaker Hose to hook up to the Timer for the summer when it's too freaking hot to water, and four 12" Concrete Stepping stones to put at the end of the patio to get the walkway started on the East side of the Raised Garden.  All in hopes that I can work on it tomorrow as weather permits and errands come before it.

We did have a really cool visitor today and hope it stays that way.  This Pileated Woodpecker flew in like a hawk and landed on our Front Yard Maple tree.  Beautiful Red Crested head.  He's kinda rare in these parts, but should not be uncommon as we are on the edge of their habitat area.  I wish I had a better picture as this one was taken from inside through our UV coated window on an overcast day.  These guys can dig really big holes in your tree for a family to grow inside.  Quite neat, but my trees are NOT in need of crazy holes in them.  I think the black ants have done a good job of that already.

1 comment:

  1. Looks great! And wow, the lawn looks beautiful. Green and lush.

    ReplyDelete