Sunday, April 1, 2012

2012 - I Couldn't Resist

I absolutely LOVE this store.  Planters Seed and Spice Co. has a good variety of transplants, a vast assortment of seeds (the only store I have found that has SOY BEANS), and a great collection of tools and supplies to keep your garden in awesome shape!   Evan and I picked up a four pack transplant of Vates Kale that I planted these in the empty Radish spot in the raised garden, I couldn't resist.  After eating a Brussel Sprout and Kale salad at Christmas, I was hooked.  It is supposed to be a hardy plant that I hope will take hold and give us a bounty of healthy greens.  They are full of cancer fighting flavonoids.  We also picked up a pack of Spaghetti Squash and Soy Bean Seeds, along with a 1/4 lb. of Basil and Ginger Spices.  It smells so wonderful in this store as you walk around with all the aromas of individual spices.




It helps that it is in a wonderful location in Downtown Kansas City, MO in the City River Market.  Check it out one day if you are in the area.



Earlier in the morning we raced down to Shawnee, KS to check out the Food Circle of Kansas City's 14th Annual Exhibition of Farmers.  They had a small set up so you could get to know the Local CSA farmers and had LOTS of beautiful transplants to put in your home garden.  I wish I had pictures.   I was too overwhelmed by the assortment of plants to think about documenting.  We narrowed our plant buying down to one single beautiful, hopeful transplant, The Lily of the Valley.  Evan's birth flower.  I have searched high and low for this small wonder.

At the same merchant, we purchased a bag of Mixed greens that included Mustard, Broccoli Rabe, Mesclun, and Arugula.  It was so good!  We added Strawberries, Walnuts, Parmesan, Pink Lady Apple and a Raspberry Hazelnut Vinaigrette from our local HyVee.  It tasted like a salad you would get at a really fancy and expensive restaurant.  Mmm.  Mmmmm.  I just wish I had my greens growing already so we could be enjoying it everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment